January 10, 2006

This date in Michigan History

January 10, 1964
William Clay Ford (grandson of Henry Ford) became the sole owner of the Detroit Lions for $6 million.

The Detroit Lions played their first game on September 23, 1934, when they defeated the New York Giants at the University of Detroit Stadium. The Lions were originally the Spartans, who played four seasons at Portsmouth, Ohio. Purchased for less than $8,000 by a group headed by Detroit radio executive George A. Richards and moved to Detroit, the Lions won their first National Football League championship in 1935.
Courtesy Michigan History Magazine.

This date in Michigan History

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home